Meet The Teacher
Born in Newcastle, Kwa – Zulu Natal, South Africa and raised in Boston, Massachusetts, USA until the age of seven. Started dancing at the age of six, attended and matriculated from D.H.S. and completed his B-Tech degree in Dance majoring in Composition /Choreography, at the Tshwane University of Technology in 2013.
- Began Classical training in Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, African, Tap, Composition, Stage work, Arts Administration and Stage Craft at the Tshwane University of Technology (U.T.)
- The FIFA 2010 World cup closing ceremony gave the opportunity to perform on an international platform choreographed by Somizi Mhlongo (South African television & radio personality, choreographer) and performed with (Colombian singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, actress & philanthropist)
- 2nd year undergraduate student at Tshwane University of Technology.
- He took first place in 2011 while representing S.A. in the National Dance team in Germany at the International Show Dance competition.
- Performed for Timothy le Roux for his season entitled “Chronicles” at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival 2011.
- Completed & graduated undergraduate with a National Diploma in Dance from the Tshwane University of Technology.
- In his final year as a postgrad student at Tshwane University of Technology, he was scouted by Kelsey Middelton, Founder and Artistic Director of Kmad Dance Company & then Contemporary lecturer at T.U.T.
Phume then joined Kmad Dance Company in 2013 under the directorship of Kelsey Middleton and performed in the following:
- Performed in Christopher Kindo’s (Founder of Cape’s Jazzart Contemporary Dance Theatre): Me &You at the 25th anniversary of the National Dance Umbrella
- Choreographed & performed an original work titled: “Slaves of Humanity” for Kmad’s “Next Generation” season in 2013.
- Co-choreographed & performed an original production “SINS” a Certified Standard Bank Ovation Award Winning work at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival
- He Performed & participated in the Adele Blank Tribute “Bank Page”, hosted by the National Dance Umbrella at the Market Theatre.
- Performed & participated in the Vikki Karras Living Dance Legend Tribute in 2014 at the State Theatre.
- Completed & Graduated Post grad. with a B-Tech Degree majoring in Composition & Choreography.
- He worked, choreographed & performed with Tracey Simmons ( K. International Pole Dance Trainer and Performer) at the 2014 Annual “Pole Unity” event.
- Worked at Cantare, Monte Casino as a choreographer and co-directed events for the venue and for personalities such as Maps Masego Maponyane (South African television personality & model) Khaya Dlanga (Senior Creative & Digital excellence at Coca- Cola South Africa (CCSA), Chief Marketing Officer at Rain Mobile, Radio & Media personality & Writer) and Tumi Tladi (South African Singer/Rapper, Dancer & Song Writer.)
- Co-choreographed and Performed in Kmad Dance Company’s production “NO AIR” a Certified Standard Bank Ovation Award Winning work at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival 2014 and was performed at the State Theatre in Pretoria in 2015.
- Contributed to the DanceCor syllabus, in the Grade 7 Jazz training/examinations. DanceCor is taught both nationally & internationally and is SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) accredited syllabi.
- Performed in Kmad Dance Company’s production of “LYFTAAL” at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival
- He then joined the Jozi Youth Dance Company (JYDC) as a Resident Trainer, Choreographer, Lighting Designer and Music Editor.
- He then choreographed an original work titled “The Silence Within Became Me” performed by the Jozi Youth Dance Company’s Debut Dance Season titled “Ecouter” (French meaning for “to listen”).
- He was invited and choreographed an original work and performed it at the 2015 Gymnaestrada in Helsinki Finland, representing South Africa.
- He has also worked with Nimrod Freed & TAMI Dance Company from Israel in their South African production of “PEEPDANCE” during their 2015 international tour.
- Worked & performed under DONROY Entertainment (a U.K. Production Company) on their dance movie titled “IRIS WARRIORS” filmed in Cape Town South Africa.
- Staged an original work titled “The Silence Within Became Me” at the annual South African Dance Umbrella Festival.
- Staged his original work titled “An Affair” for the Jozi Youth Dance Company’s 2nd Dance Season titled: “Nouvelle Ere” (French meaning for “New Era”).
- He was casted in “A Spartacus of Africa” tour 2016, an adapted ballet re-choreographed by Veronica Paeper.
- He choreographed a fresh contemporary work titled “Era of the Hater” performed by the National School of the Arts dancers and Performed on the Mandela Stage at the Johannesburg Civic.
- He collaborated with Living Dance Legend Adele Blank and Jayd Swart on a Dark, Modern & Afrocentric re-telling of the timeless Classical Ballet “Coppelia” titled “Lu Afrique” in the (JYDC) double bill season titled “CHOIX” ( French meaning for “choice”)
- Choreographed and staged a new original work titled: “ The Wall” in the Jozi Youth Dance Company’s 4th Dance season titled “DOMAINE” (French meaning “realm, territory, area”)
- Casted, performing and touring in Disney’s “number 1” Award Winning Musical the “LION KING” International Tour to current date.
Phume is an Active, Qualified and Experienced Freelance Teacher, Choreographer, Creative/Curator, Stylist & Activist.
He has worked with renowned choreographers . He has choreographed, curated, taught, styled and performed on various productions and corporate events and continues to be an active Freelance Professional within the professional Dance industry and Entertainment Business of South Africa and the Global Dance community.
Mpendulo Phumelele Sikhakhane
Jackie started dancing at the age of 3 with her Mother Beryl Allison who was one of the founder members of the Acrobatic Federation of South Africa (A.F.S.A).
- Acrobatic Dance (Full Member) (AFSA)
- Modern Dance (Full Member) (Dance Cor)
- Acrobatic Dance Examiner (A.F.S.A)
- Acrobatic Dance Adjudicator
- Central Gauteng Acrobatic – Chair Person
- Acrobatic Sport – Chair Person
- Acrobatic Sport Head Judge
Cassandra started as a pupil at Jackie McGinn Dance Studio in 1988 and progressed through the years to a Senior Teacher and Partner.
Before joining Jackie as a teacher in 2005, Cassandra taught pre-primary school. She also completed several photography courses and a make-up course for the benefit of the studio.
In 2005, the mother and daughter duo combined their teaching talents and changed the studio name to J & C Dance Creations.
Cassandra started working at Craighall Primary School in 2018 as the Dance teacher for Grades 1-7 teaching the CAPS curriculum. She then started Craighall Dance Creations (CDC) with Modern, Acrobatics and Hip Hop and now in 2020 has expanded incorporating Ballet and Contemporary Dance.
Cassandra is currently teaching at J&C, CDC and is teaching CAPS Dance curriculum to Grade 1-7 and is teaching Grade 6 & 7 Social Science – History.
Cassandra is qualified to teach:
- Acrobatic (AFSA)
- Modern Dancing (Dance Cor)
- Registered with SACE (South African council of educators)
- ECD Qualification (Teachers training college)
- Bachelor of education (UNISA)
Majors – English, Psychology, Geography, Life orientation and Technology.
Cassandra De Klerk
Tamzin Stone has been dancing since she as 5years old, and has been trained in various genres of dance including; acrobatic, modern, ballet, jazz, spanish, tap, african and contemporary.
Tamzin started her career at J & C Dance Creations, with acrobatic and modern dance, this is where she discovered her passion for dance. When she reached her high school years she attended The National School of the Arts where she furthered her knowledge in dance and also received Jazz dancer of the year in her 12th year at N.S.A.
After realising dance is her life, passion and love, she wanted to further this as a career and went on to study more about her passion at Tshwane University of Technology, where she studied dance and musical theatre.
Tamzin further continued in her achievements by receiving best Jazz dancer in her 3rd and 4th year at University and continued to receive her degree in dance with her majoring in 3 subjects being teaching, choreography and performance.
Tamzin has also taken part in many Dance Festivals including performing at Grahams Town Arts Festival various times throughout her career, performing in Dance Spectrum in Festival of Fame at N.S.A , as well as many dance sessions at T.U.T . She also performed a work called ‘Me & You’ choreographed by Christopher Kindo and restaged by Kelsey Middleton performed at Dance Umbrella with the KMAD.COM contemporary dance company. She also choreographed a work called ‘Ellipsis’ in a dance session called The Next Generation for Kelsey Middleton and her company KMAD.COM contemporary dance company. Tamzin also performed on the Costa Ariva ship with the Afro Arimba company.
Tamzin recently performed with the Tailormade Group by Haley Bennet in their EOH year end function and is currently teaching contemporary, modern and acrobatic at J & C Dance Creations and various other studios as well as still performing and choreographing. Tamzin continues to teach and further her education in dance by completing her masters.
I have been dancing for the past 25 years competing in some prestigious competitions such as American Dance Awards, Dance World Cup, Gymnaestrada and many more.
Having placed first in all of these competitions in South Africa multiple times, this allowed me to participate internationally. This made me the first South African to compete in American Dance Awards (Dancer of the year competition).
I have excelled in multiple dance forms such as acrobatics, ballet, modern, contemporary, jazz, african, lyrical, rhythmic gymnastics and aerial dancing.
I’ve received international accreditation for Contemporary, Jazz, Lyrical, Ballet, Acrobatics and also made it to Jnr Olympics for Rhythmic Gymnastics.
I have managed to complete through to Advance 2 for the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD).
With my years of experience I was given the privilege of completing the graduate program with the South African Ballet Theater (SABT).
I have completed my Advanced teachers with the Acrobatic Federation of South Africa (AFSA).
For Modern, I have completed up to Advanced 2. I am currently training for my Associate 1 and 2 examinations, this allowing me to enter exams with Dance Cor.
Due to my wealth of experience in multiple dance styles, I have also been used for large corporate events hosted by brands such as: Durban July, ABSA, Marlboro, KPMG and many more.
With this exposure I have also had the opportunity to work with MNET, SABC3, Dominion, KTV, Olay video of the year and South African Sports Awards.
Her professional dance experince includes
Dancer for CHACE DANCE COMPANY
Dancer for SOUTH AFRICAN BALLET THEATER
Teaching for JNC DANCE CREATIONS from 2011 – 2018
Teaching – Acrobatics AFSA syllabus, Modern – Dance Core syllabus which includes modern, Jazz, Contemporary, African, Lyrical and Body Conditioning as well as teaching Ballet and Tumbling.
Katz School of Dance – Acrobatic Instructor
CHOREOGRAPHY – JNC Dance Creations, Chace Dance Company, Dubai Performing arts for The QE2, Standing Ovations, Katz School of Dance, Christine School of Dance
TV / ADVERTISEMENTS – SABC 3, Olay Video of the year, ABSA KKNK DANCER, TV Series Dominion, Sports Awards South Africa, KTV
DANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING COMPANYS – Marlboro, Olay, Westbank, ABSA, MTN, Nandos, Mercedes, Nashua, KPMG, FAW
Dancer for Johannesburg Youth Ballet Theatre Company
Dancer for Roodepoort Youth Ballet Theatre Company
Dancer for Ballet Bugs Theatre Company
Received international accreditation for Acrobatics, Lyrical, Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz and African Dance
Jnr Olympics for Rhythmic Gymnastics.
7 times South African senior champ winner In acrobatics and modern dance
Received Full National colours in Acrobatics to represent South Africa in the National Team.
Received full National colours for Rhythmic gymnastics to represent South Africa in the National Team.
Acrobatic bursary award winner 2010/12
Ryan Lee-Roy Paulse
Nickname: Yan Style: Hip Hop
Ryan was born in Mitchell’s Plain, Cape Town. When Ryan was 7 years old, the legendary icon Michael Jackson visited South Africa. He was inspired after seeing him and began dancing.
When he was older he formed a Hip Hop crew called MO5 and entered numerous competitions namely Channel O which he won 4 times consecutively. His crew were undisputed in the West Rand.
Some of the work he is most proud of includes “All for the love of Jesus” which his crew worked alongside Rainbow FM 90.7 to produce and they represented Gauteng at the Grahamstown Arts Festival. These are a few accomplishments in Ryan’s early dance career.
Ryan now owns a Hip Hop studio in Roodepoort and is a guest teacher in Weltevredenpark at J & C Dance Creations.
I current professions are Professional Dancer, Dance teacher, Personal trainer, Hostess and Entertainment.
I am trained in many styles and have represented South Africa in these styles – Acrobatics, Contemporary, Jazz, African, Salsa and more.
I have a Tertiary level of Education as I studied Performing Arts at the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) in Pretoria, South Africa.
For 3 years I worked abroad as a Dancer, Fitness trainer and Entertainer, working on Costa Cruises and working in Tunisia and Turkey for TTHotels Magic Life.
I am currently teaching Jazz, and Modern dance to children between the ages of 4 and 18 at JnC Dance creations
Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Third year Graduate – Diploma
Best 2nd and 3rd year Jazz Dancer (2012, 2013). Best Jazz Dancer (2013). Most improved dancer (2012) and most promising dancer (2013)
ISSA – International Sports Sciences Association.
Studied and received Personal Training Certificate through ISSA online international course.
Started dancing at age 3 teachers included Royal Academy of Dancing Reina Burman,
, Joyce Myfof,Launa Haupt, Gilluan Joubert, Vicky Karra, Robin Alland/check spelling ple, Adle Blank, Keith Galloway and Delia Sainsbury .Dame Hazle Acosta flamenco she is a world renowned examiner and teacher.Work on many Flamenco shows at the Lesedi / JHB theatre
Danced Ballet, jazz, contemporary, tap, Flamenco, pilates.
Pretoria Tecnikon/ Distinctions in Teaching, Royal Academy of Dancing / Distinction Teaching, Fully register RAD ballet, Alianza Flamenca.
Danced , wardrobe,backstage ad hoc Pact Opera, Had Cazz Jazz Dance studio 10 yrs.Emegrated to UK work shops and classes in Pineapple studio on the West End and different courses and work shops.Continue to dance Flanenca and do workshops courses etc.Worked T Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City, State theater Pretoria. Work backstage and Assistance if the Val White Anual Bursary.Worked back in the day for many years in Concour de Ballet. Work on endless festivals all over.
Carol , like Jackie grew up in their mothers dance studio, where dance was in your heart and an everyday part of your life.
Growing up Carol trained in all dance forms Modern, tap Ballet as well as Acrobatics , Gymnastics and Tumbling. Acrobatics and modern being her favourite forms of dance.
She was in Acrobatic Championships by the age of 8yrs and never looked back, winning championships several times throughout her competitive years. She was the first ever Acrobatic Bursary winner. Awarded South African colours for Arco Gymnastics and gold medallist in South African Games. She Completed her Advanced teachers exam at age of 18yrs.
Being blessed and inheriting the talent, It was a natural progression to end up dancing and teaching as a profession.
Carol started her dance career when she left school.
She danced in extravaganzas in Sun city and Wild Coast sun. Shows in Thabantu sun, Gold reef city and in Namibia to name a few. Carol also worked dancing in TV shows and worked as a magician’s assistant , was employed to do a lot of corporate functions for companies through the years. Her favourite experience was working on the ship, that travelled from Italy ,around Africa, across to Australia and Fiji Islands and ending in South Hampton England.
Carol Stopped Dancing and started teaching after getting married and having children. She ran her own successful studio in Bramley Then moved and taught a bit in Port Elizabeth before moving to the Caribbean for 2 years where she worked as Animations(Entertainment) manager at Hard Rock Punta Cana and taught Acrobatics at a school there. Carol returned to S.A and is currently Teaching at J&C dance creations.
Carol gets as much joy out of teaching as she did preforming herself.
I started gymnastics at age 4 and won my first comp at 6. I continued to strive and work hard, always pushing myself to be better than I was before. I joined the High Performance Group at 9 & trained for 4.5 hours, 6 days a week. I did all six apparatus – the Horizontal Bars, the Parallel Bars, the Still Rings, the Floor, the Vault and the Pommel Horse.
HIGH PERFORMANCE/SENIOR OLYMPICS MEN’S ARTISTIC GYMNAST
As a high performance junior gymnast, I have been National Champion for 6 years.
I also received my Central Gauteng Gymnastics Senior Colours.
MY JUNIOR CAREER HIGHLIGHTS 2012
- Youngest male artistic gymnast to receive Protea Colours and represent SA at the 11th African Gymnastics Championships in Tunisia. 2013
- Nov – Competed at the Olympic Hopes Cup in Czech Republic
- Dec – Competed at the Memorial Cup in Serbia and came 4th overall 2014
- Feb – Competed at the Scottish National Championships, in preparation for the upcoming African Championships later that year.
- Mar – Competed at 12th African Gymnastics Championships held at Tuks University. I placed 3rd overall in the all-round finals and won 2 bronze medals in the Individual Apparatus finals, for High Bar and Parallel bars. I qualified for the Youth Olympic Games.
- Aug – Competed at the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games held in Nanjing, China. I was the first Junior male gymnast to represent South Africa at this event. I was the 2nd youngest gymnast in the whole competition and it was a valuable experience for me. I was also chosen by SASCOC to be the proud flagbearer for South Africa at the Opening Ceremony.
- Awarded Male Junior Gymnast of the year by SAGF (The South African Gymnastics Federation). 2015
- Awarded Male Junior Gymnast of the year by SAGF HIGH PERFORMANCE/SENIOR OLYMPICS MEN’S ARTISTIC GYMNAST MY SENIOR CAREER HIGHLIGHTS My first year as a senior was in 2016. I placed second overall in the all-round category and won 2 individual medals, joint gold for high bar and silver for the floor. I competed on 3 apps at this year’s Nationals and won gold on Hbar, Pbar and Pommel Horse. I have had setbacks during my career – a hernia operation in 2014; 2 major growth spurts which had a negative impact on my strength; falls and injuries requiring many visits to the hospital and physio. With help from 2 amazing sports psychologists, I made huge progress in my training and competitions. OUTSIDE OF GYMNASTICS
- I am studying BA HR at UJ • I work as a part-time gymnastics coach, when I can.
- I love relaxing with friends in my free time MY SHORT TERM GOALS
- To regain my strength • To balance my gymnastics with my studies.
- To get back to doing all 6 apparatus MY LONG TERM GOALS & DREAMS
- To participate in the World Championships next year.
- To participate in the 2020 Olympic Games in Japan.